According to Ayurveda, indigestion and low digestion is the cause for many diseases and illnesses; digestion thus is always the key to healing and feeling at our best. Agni symbolises the ‘digestive fire’ in Ayurveda that is responsible for breaking down the food and other things we consume, taking in what is useful and eradicating the rest.
When our digestive ability, or Agni is strong, our body eliminates waste products efficiently and produces a subtle essence called Ojas which infers strength that is required for the body. Current lifestyle which includes improper eating, lack of proper food habits, sedentary daily routine leads to a weakened digestive system and Agni resulting in toxic remains called Ama getting stored in our body. As per Ayurveda, this is the root cause of all diseases.
Here are few important Ayurvedic tips and home remedies for Digestion –
- Have a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger with a few drops of lemon juice with few pinches of salt before meal to stimulate the Agni.
- Sip on ginger tea throughout the day, and with meals.
- Eating turmeric and black pepper together stimulates digestion.
- A glassful of warm water with a little honey and a few drops of lemon juice added to it is good for improving digestion when taken on an empty stomach.
- Sleep on your left side. This facilitates digestion and removal of toxins.
- Drink warm water with lemon in the morning and throughout the day.
- Lunch should be the largest meal of the day as that is when your digestive fire is the strongest.
- Avoid cold drinks with your meals as it might hamper and slow down the digestion process.
- Practice not eating anything 2 to 3 hours before bed.
- Try drinking a cup or two of warm water upon waking, and a large glass (about two cups) of warm or room temperature water 20-30 minutes before your meals.
- Chew well while eating.
- Mediate regularly
Call for consultation (7pm - 9pm IST): 0091 9544144199
Latest posts by Dr.Sandeep Krishna (see all)
- 11 Miraculous Benefits of Ayurveda Massage ( Abhyangam) - March 6, 2017
- 10 Steps to Stay Healthy with Ayurveda - March 6, 2017
- Top 7 Habits for Healthy living - March 1, 2017