Tennis Elbow and its Management in Ayurveda
Tennis elbow also known as Lateral epicondylitis is a condition that affects the tendon of the elbow joint causing pain around the outside of the elbow. The inflammation in the tendon is caused due to the increased strain, overuse and wear & tear of the muscles attached to your elbow and wrist. The condition has its name since it is most commonly seen in people involving in racquet sports like tennis. However, it is not required that only people who play tennis get it, other physically demanding activities which put the muscles of extension of the elbow under a lot of stress also can contribute to the condition.
Ayurvedic Understanding of Tennis Elbow Condition
According to Ayurveda, Tennis Elbow condition is majorly caused due to the vitiation of Pitta dosha in the starting stage then leading to the aggravation of Vata dosha as well. The vitiated doshas results in difficulty of the movement of elbow.
Causes of Tennis Elbow according to Ayurveda
- Repetitive or continuous strain over the elbow due to restless movements
- Lack of strength or flexibility within the forearm muscles
- Lack of strength within the shoulder muscles.
- Excessive pressure on nerves
Symptoms of Tennis Elbow according to Ayurveda
- Swollen, red and warm elbow
- Pain in the outer part of the elbow
- Tenderness and inflammation in the outer part of the elbow
- Pain on movement especially while lifting objects
- Wrist pain while grasping objects
- Dull ache even in resting position
- Pain radiating downward into the forearms
- Elbow stiffness in the morning
- Weakness in the wrist joint
Management of Tennis Elbow through Ayurveda
Ayurvedic approach to the treatment of Tennis Elbow condition includes administration of anti-inflammatory Ayurvedic medicines, application of medicated oils/powders to the area with mild massage, sweating treatment (Swedana), Lepanam and Pichu treatment is also recommended depending upon the severity of the condition.
Call for consultation (7pm - 9pm IST): 0091 9544144199
Latest posts by Dr.Sandeep Krishna (see all)
- 11 Miraculous Benefits of Ayurveda Massage ( Abhyangam) - March 6, 2017
- 10 Steps to Stay Healthy with Ayurveda - March 6, 2017
- Top 7 Habits for Healthy living - March 1, 2017