Management of Hyperacidity in Ayurvteda
Hyperacidity is a condition in which the acid produced in the stomach is excessive resulting in bloating, stomach ulcers and a burning sensation in the stomach and heart.
Hyperacidity in Ayurveda
Hyperacidity is very closely associated to Amlapitta in Ayurveda which is caused by the imbalance of agni or the digestive fire leading to the vitiation of pitta dosha.
According to Ayurveda, there are two types of Amlapitta as follows:
Urdhvaga amlapitta: Characterized by the upward movement of pitta and,
Adhoga amlapitta: Characterized by the downward movement of pitta.
Symptoms of Hyperacidity
• Burning sensation in the throat and chest
• Dyspepsia or an uncomfortable sensation in the upper middle part of the stomach
• Sour eruptions
• Nausea and headache
• Feeling of heaviness in the abdomen
Causes of Hyperacidity
According to Ayurveda, Hyperacidity is a common condition for people with Pitta dominant body type. The causative factors of Hyperacidity include:
• Excessive use of spicy and oily food
• Intake of coffee and tea in very high amounts
• Prolonged use of some anti-inflammatory drugs
• Carbonated drinks
• Psychological factors like stress, anxiety and anger
Ayurvedic Treatment for Hyperacidity
Hyperacidity in Ayurveda is managed by Ayurvedic treatments that aim at removing morbid Pitta and medications to follow up the therapies and to prevent the further occurrence of the disease.
Ayurvedic therapies to treat the disease include:
• Vamana: A medicated emesis therapy where in herbal medicines induce expulsion of vitiated doshas through the oral cavity.
• Virechana: A medicated purification therapy to flush out toxins from the body, especially vitiated Pitta dosha.
• Vasti: It is the most important of all Panchakarma therapies that washes out all toxins through the digestive tract.
• Chew Tulsi leaves to reduce the burning sensation in the stomach
• Drink 10 ml of Pomegranate juice twice daily
• Drink a cup of Coconut water twice daily
• Banana and Watermelon are helpful in managing the condition
• Cold milk without sugar absorbs excess acid produced in the stomach
• Ginger juice or ginger decoction and the juice of Cloves are also good for treating Hyperacidity.
Call for consultation (7pm - 9pm IST): 0091 9544144199
Latest posts by Dr.Sandeep Krishna (see all)
- 6 Tips to avoid AMA build-up in the body - December 12, 2017
- 8 Tips to fight Stress and Anxiety - December 12, 2017
- 8 Steps to improve your sleep cycle as per Ayurveda? - December 12, 2017