Kidney stones are solid masses of salts that are found in the kidney or the urinary tract. Their presence blocks urinary channels causing acute pain and discomfort. Kidney stone is a condition that occurs common among all age groups and its seriousness increases with the size of the stones formed.
Kidney stone in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, Kidney stone is been referred to as Mutrashmari (ashmari meaning stones). The causative factors of Kidney stone affects all the 3 doshas, whose imbalance leads to the development of this disease.
Causes of Kidney Stone
• Lower amount of water consumption
• Unwholesome food
• Intake of excessive amounts of chemical drugs
• Suppression of natural urges
• Sedentary lifestyle
• Dry foods and physical exertion that makes the body dry
Symptoms of the condition
• Pain while urination
• Decreased amount of urine
• Haematuria or blood in the urine
• Obstructed urination
• Nausea and vomiting
Ayurvedic Treatment for Kidney Stone
Ayurveda recommends various treatments and procedures to treat Kidney stone.
• Shodhana karmas: These include various waste elimination therapies to flush out accumulated toxins in the body formed as a result of vitiated doshas.
• Shaman karmas: These are the pacifying therapies to balance the vitiated doshas by medication.
• Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day, coconut water or barley water are also effective.
• Wheatgrass juice is highly beneficial for kidney stones. You may mix wheatgrass juice with 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp basil leaves juice, consume the drink 2-3 times a day.
• Eating pomegranate daily or drinking pomegranate juice is a very effective natural remedy to treat the condition.
• Alternatively, boil 25 gm of horse gram (muthira) in 200 ml water until it reduces to about 50 ml, mix crushed pomegranate seeds to it. Filter it and drink daily to dissolve small stones naturally.
• Basil leaves also significantly contribute to cure kidney stone. Consume 1 tsp of Basil leaves juice mixed with 1 tsp honey every morning or chew 2-3 basil leaves daily.
• Eating watermelon daily is yet another powerful means to prevent and cure this condition
- How to Boost your Immune System with Ayurveda? - April 1, 2020
- 10 Superfoods to keep you cool during the Summer Season - March 25, 2020
- 7 Effective Ayurvedic Practices to Improve your Digestion - March 10, 2020