Psoriasis is a non-infectious, acute inflammatory condition that appears on the skin. It’s an auto-immune disorder that causes rapid skin cell reproduction resulting in red, dry patches of thickened skin. Common symptoms of Psoriasis include itching and burning, thickening and reddening of the skin and the development of silver-coloured scales. More severe cases of psoriasis can also lead to blistering, severe shedding of skin in the affected area and skin lesions.
AYURVEDIC UNDERSTANDING OF PSORIASIS
According to Ayurveda, diet and food is a major cause of the energy imbalance that leads to psoriasis. Vata, the energy that controls bodily functions, and kapha, the energy that controls growth, can become imbalanced due to unhealthy food choices, improper food combinations and doshi vishas, or toxins that accumulate in your digestive tract, resulting in psoriasis.
TYPES OF PSORIASIS ACCORDING TO THE SYMPTOMS
- PLAGUE PSORIASIS – In this type of psoriasis, there are red lesions covered with silvery white scales. These scales itch and become sore. They usually occur on the elbow, knees and lower back.
- SCALP PSORIASIS – Red, itchy scalp plagues. They are usually found on the back of the head and cause excessive itching cause accompanied with hair loss.
- NAIL PSORIASIS – In nail psoriasis, the nails become yellow in colour and characterised by nail pits; accumulation of thickened skin below the nail etc. There are lines running across the nail with loosening of the nail bed, inflammation, secondary infection, and sometimes even haemorrhage and pus collection below the nail.
- GUTTATE PSORIASIS – The plagues are small and widespread and occur more commonly on the chest and legs. These do not occur on the soles of feet and palms
- INVERSE PSORIASIS – There is no scaling in this type of psoriasis. Instead of scales, smooth, bright red, smoothened patches of skin are formed. There can be pain and itching on the skin. The areas affected are folds of skin in areas like buttocks, groin, in between breast. Sweat aggravates such cases.
FACTORS THAT CAUSE PSORIASIS ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
- Increased intake of Salty foods, Fermented foods, Spicy foods, Maida (Refined flour), Bakery products, Junk foods and Fast foods, refrigerated and cold foods etc. may contribute to psoriasis.
- Unhealthy Eating (Irregular food habits) and Sedentary Lifestyle
- Excessive Mental and Physical Stress
MANAGEMENT OF PSORIASIS THROUGH AYURVEDA
There are many effective Ayurveda remedies to manage and treat psoriasis and give relief from its symptoms. As Psoriasis according to Ayurveda is associated with the toxins in the body, the major step towards treatment is to regain the lost balance by detoxifying the body. This is achieved by the efficacious Panchakarma treatments of Ayurveda especially Medicated Enema, Vamana and Virechana. In the case of scalp psoriasis Shirodhara with medicated oils is also a very effective treatment. Apart from the core treatments, lifestyle management, diet management, stress management and counselling also form the focal base of the treatment cycle. Yoga asanas as instructed by a Yoga expert and regular exercises is also very important in managing Psoriasis.
. The schedule is as follows.
- Consumption of medicated ghee, considering the Dosha type of the Psoriasis and the person, for 5 to 7 days.
- Detoxifying, by inducing vomiting (Vamana) and purgation (Virechana).
- This is followed by medicated buttermilk dripping overhead ,Thakra Dahara
- Basthi (medicated enemas) are being done for stipulated days and internal medicines like herbal decoctions and medicated ghee has to be consumed for at least 90 days.
Psoriasis Diet: A strict diet regime has to be followed during the entire treatment period and it is better to continue as vegetarian. Yogurt, black gram, chilies and salted thing have to be restricted. It is better to avoid refrigerated/chilled foods.
Psoriatic patient must keep a state of mental calmness.
HOME REMEDIES TO MANAGE PSORIASIS ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
There are some easy Home remedies that help to provide relief in management as well as help in treating the condition of psoriasis.
- Powder few almonds and boil thoroughly in water. Apply this paste on affected areas and let it remain overnight. Next morning, wash it off with water.
- Boil one teaspoonful sandalwood powder in three cups of water until it is reduced to one cup. Add a little rose water and sugar and take thrice a day.
- Grind a handful of fresh jasmine flowers and apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Drink fresh cabbage juice (1/2 cup) everyday, which will ensure faster recovery from the condition.
- Take four marigold flower heads and boil them in four cups of water. Once cooled, apply on affected parts.
- Take fresh cabbage leaves and apply them over the affected skin. This is also one of the very effective home remedies for psoriasis.