Dandruff, one among the most common scalp disorders, is the accumulation of dead skin cells as white flakes on the scalp. It is also the most common reason for hair fall in many. The causes of dandruff include dry skin, increases intake of dry, cold and spicy foods, environmental allergens, excess usage of hair styling products, etc.
According to Ayurveda, the aggravation of the Vata and Pitta doshas produces impurities which later gets accumulated in the deep tissues of scalp and causes dandruff. The Ayurvedic approach to treating dandruff involves pacifying the doshas and cleansing the body off impurities.
Here are some easy Ayurvedic remedies for dandruff.
• Hibiscus and amla – Mix equal quantities of hibiscus flower, amla and tulsi leaves with 4 times sesame oil and 8 times coconut water. Cook the mixture until the complete water content is evaporated and strain it to obtain the oil. Apply the oil on scalp for relief from dandruff.
• Coconut oil and lemon – Mix juice of a lemon with coconut oil and apply on scalp. Wash with shampoo after half an hour.
• Camphor and coconut oil – Mix a small amount of camphor in coconut oil and apply on scalp before going to bed. Camphor helps reduce dandruff while also cooling down the scalp.
• Curd and lemon – Squeeze the juice of two lemons into a bowl of curd and apply on scalp. The lemon works against the dandruff, while the curd moisturizes the scalp and keeps it cool.
• Almond oil and olive oil – Mix almond oil and olive oil and apply on scalp. Both these oils have hair nourishing qualities and are effective against dandruff.
• Vinegar and hot water – Mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar in a glass of hot water. Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and dab it on the scalp. Vinegar helps eliminate dandruff as well as conditions the hair.
• Amla paste – Make a paste out of amla powder, tulsi leaves and water and apply on the head thoroughly. Let it sit for around 30 minutes before rinsing with plain water.
• Aloe vera gel – Aloe vera gel is an excellent remedy for dandruff. Spread the gel over the hair and leave it overnight. Shampoo the hair next day morning.
• Fenugreek seeds – Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight and make a paste out of it the next morning. Apply this on the hair and scalp and rinse off after 30-45 minutes. Along with treating dandruff, fenugreek seeds are also effective for hair loss.
Latest posts by Dr.Sandeep Krishna (see all)