Conjunctivitis is the condition caused by to the inflammation of the transparent layer outside the eyeball called conjunctiva. It may occur due to allergic reactions to dust, pollens, chemicals or can also be caused by a viral or bacterial infection.
Symptoms of Conjunctivitis
• Redness in the eyes
• Burning and itching sensation in the eyes
• Watering of the eyes
• Swelling of conjunctiva
• Blurred vision
Conjunctivitis and Ayurveda
The condition is called Netrabhishyandam in Ayurveda and is caused by the vitiation of Pitta and Kapha doshas. When Kapha dosha gets aggravated in the eye, it vitiates the Pitta dosha and causes redness, watery secretions and swelling which lead to conjunctivitis.
Ayurvedic management of the condition involves balancing the doshas involved and application of herbal remedies.
Following are some Ayurvedic home remedies to help manage conjunctivitis.
• Soak half a teaspoon of Triphala powder in a glass of water overnight. Filter the water in the morning and use it to wash the eyes.
• Mix some turmeric with a little amount of water, dip a small and neat piece of cloth in it and let it dry. Use this cloth to wipe the affected area of eyes to help reduce infection.
• Mix some amla juice with honey and drink it twice daily for quick healing.
• Put a few drops of coconut oil in the eyes and lie down for some time to reduce the swelling and itching in the eyes.
• Place a cucumber slice over the eyelid for a soothing effect on the eye.
• Dip a small and neat towel in cold water and place it gently on the affected eye to relieve the pain and irritation.
• Dip a cotton ball in some goat’s milk and wipe the eyes with it for the conjunctivitis to heal quickly.
• Make a paste of neem leaves and apply it externally over the eyelids to reduce the pain.
• Blend some coriander leaves with half a cup of water. Filter the mixture and apply the pulp on the closed eyelids.
• Steep a teaspoonful of coriander seeds in a cup of water for 15 minutes. Strain it and apply the water externally on the eyelids for relief from conjunctivitis.
• Drink a glass of lemon juice early in the morning on an empty stomach to reduce the infection.
- Covid 19 Measures - August 21, 2020
- How to Boost your Immune System with Ayurveda? - April 1, 2020
- 10 Superfoods to keep you cool during the Summer Season - March 25, 2020