MANAGING STRESS AND ANXIETY WITH AYURVEDA
Stress and Anxiety is a common word in today’s life!
Present-day hectic schedules, deadlines, demands and pressures, irrespective of ages has resulted in undue stress and strain. The difficulty arises when this stress becomes persistent and starts interfering with our daily life. This then becomes an anxiety disorder, a state of excessive uneasiness, worry, or fear of the unknown.
Whether our stress is triggered from work, academics, routine, or relationships, at some point in our lives, we are faced with the uncomfortable symptoms of stress. These symptoms may manifest in several ways including inability to focus properly, trouble sleeping, worry, fatigue, increased anger, stress headaches and a variety of other stress-related concerns.
Ayurvedic Understanding of Stress
According to Ayurveda stress affects the Agni or the internal metabolic fire which in turn affects digestion and metabolism, upsetting the Ojas or body’s entire defence mechanism. The condition is caused due to vitiated vata dosha which weakens the nervous system and triggers the mental imbalance.
Symptoms of Stress or Anxiety Disorder According to Ayurveda
1. Constant feeling of panic, fear and uneasiness
3. Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
4. Cold or sweaty hands or feet
5. Shortness of breath
6. Not being able to be still and calm
7. Problems sleeping
8. Dry mouth
Management of Stress through Ayurveda
Ayurvedic treatment of stress and anxiety disorder implies curbing the aggravated Vata dosha and conserving a stable and peaceful mind through appropriate changes in diet and lifestyle. Ayurveda recommends therapies like Abyanga, Shirovasti, Shiroabhyanga, Shirodhara, Nasya, Thalam, Thalapothichil etc. for the treatment of Stress related problems. Regular Yoga and Pranayama is also highly suggested by Ayurveda for the treatment of Stress and Anxiety.
Home Remedies for Stress & Anxiety
1. Soak 10 almonds in water overnight. The next morning, peel off the skin and grind the almonds. Add this paste, a pinch of nutmeg and ginger to one cup of milk. Drink it daily or a few times a week to reduce stress.
2. A cup of cardamom tea has a great healing effect when the mind is restless.
3. Rose petals immersed in lukewarm water is an effective mood enlivening tonic.
4. Drink tea with basil leaves to reduce stress.
Dos and Donts for Stress and Anxiety
1. Follow a proper daily routine
2. Early to bed and rise
3. Exercise regularly
4. Avoid fried, fatty and junk foods
5. Avoid alcohol, and caffeine
6. Abstain yourself from negative thinking
7. Practice meditation daily
- Covid 19 Measures - August 21, 2020
- How to Boost your Immune System with Ayurveda? - April 1, 2020
- 10 Superfoods to keep you cool during the Summer Season - March 25, 2020