Headache is a term which literally describes pain felt anywhere in the head. It poses certainly the commonest, probably the most ambiguous and sometimes the most difficult clinical problem. A migraine headache can cause intense throbbing or a pulsing sensation in one area of the head and is commonly accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
Migraine attacks can cause significant pain from hours to days and may be so severe that it may cause thevictim to settle down in an eccentric dark & quiet place distant from the tangible world. Some migraines are preceded or accompanied by sensory warning symptoms (aura), such as flashes of light, blind spots, or tingling in your arm or leg. The right medicines, combined with self-help remedies and lifestyle changes, can make a big difference in terms of curing these terrible headaches.
Migraine attacks may be caused by variety of factors such as menstruation, flashing light, lack of sleep, physical & emotional stress and anxiety.Allergies to certain types of substances like Cheese, red wine, strong perfumes, Chocolate, sour fruits, skipping meals, can be the common precipitants.
A migraine attack usually lasts from four to seventy two hours, but the frequency with which headaches occur varies from person to person if it is not treated or cared in time. You may have migraines several times a month or much less often.
When you have a migraine attack, you may experience the following symptoms:
- A pulsating and throbbing pain on one side or both sides of your head
- Blurred vision
- Sensitivity to Light, Sounds and even Smells
- Excessive Sweating.
According to Ayurveda- Triggering factors cause vitiation of vata and kapha. Vitiated vata covers the kapha in the arterial wall. This vata avrita kapha affects the dhamanis of brain and decreases the circulation, leads to headache, and sensation of vomiting. Avrita kapha clears after vomiting and patient has relief from headache. In more simple terms – The repeated mucus accumulation in the Vascular System that connects brain reduces the circulation of blood to brain inducing severe head-ache and sensation of vomiting. Most of the times, after vomiting the mucus congestion is cleared which passes us an immediate relief from the headache.
Prevention and Treatment:-
A carefully recorded history and a meticulous examination followed by full explanation of the nature and occurrences of migraine are necessary to exclude the other diseases which are associated with migraine.
In migraine, it is always better to avoid the conditions that can trigger the issue,as it’s universally quoted,“Prevention is better than cure”:-
Here are certain things to focus in order to avoid the intensification of the attack:
- Avoid bright lights
- Get a sound sleep & try not to sleep late
- Don’t skip meals; make habit to take frequent meals at right intervals.
- Always Keep in mind what you eat
If Migraine happens habitually two weeks before the menstruation, then low level of progesterone hormone might be responsible for this problem;so please consult your doctor accordingly.
If one gets migraine attack then,
- Try &lie down in dark room or at-least find a room far off from heavy sounds and strong lights.
- Put an ice pack wrapped in a towel on the head.
Or else as soon as you feel the headache- take analgesics/painkillers or other medicines to reduce stress and pain and go to sleep.
Treatments in Ayurveda:
In Ayurveda, Pancha karma and Kerala therapies are effective.
- Shirodhara- A continuous stream of medicated oil is dripped on the forehead along with a gentle massage all over the body which relaxes,smoothens and maintains the circulation in the brain by reducing the spasm of the blood vessel.
- Nasyam is also advised.
- Siroabhyanga-Special medicated oil is poured on top of the head and is left for some time. A gentle massage is then given for the head for relaxation.
Requirement of Therapy–After the 7, 14 or 21 days course of Shirodhara, Siroabhyanga is advised which will help benifit you a permanent cure along with intake of medicines.
Here is the list of a few oral medications:-
- Drakshadi Kashayam
- Varnadi Kashyam
- Balahathadithailam for applying on head.
If it is related to menstruation then, have uterine tonics which maintains the hormonal balance eg:-Musalikhadiradi Kashayam, Asokarishtam, Kumaryasavam.
- Covid 19 Measures - August 21, 2020
- How to Boost your Immune System with Ayurveda? - April 1, 2020
- 10 Superfoods to keep you cool during the Summer Season - March 25, 2020