Bloating is one of the most common digestive issues faced by many daily. A condition where the tissues lining the stomach is bloated or enlarged, bloating manifests with a feeling of having pumped air into the stomach. Most common causes of bloating include foods that produce gas, indigestion, change in diet, irregular eating habits, constipation, certain medications, etc.
Following are effective home remedies which combat bloating and fights its symptoms.
• Fennel seeds – Known for their digestive properties, fennel seeds contain compounds with antispasmodic properties that help relieve gas and abdominal bloating. Add fennel seeds in your cooking or chew half a teaspoon of fennel seeds daily or drink tea made with hot water, crushed fennel seeds and honey regularly to prevent bloating.
• Ginger – Ginger is also highly recommended for digestive issues due to their ability to expel gas and relieve cramps as well as indigestion. Make ginger tea by boiling water with ginger slices. Drink the strained tea daily with honey to bring down symptoms of bloating.
• Pumpkin – A natural source of fiber and potassium, pumpkin helps reduce bloating by acting on the excess sodium in the body which causes gas formation in the stomach. Eat cooked pumpkin daily or include pumpkin in your daily food preparation.
• Warm lemon water – Lemon exhibit mild laxative properties when combined with warm water. This help reduce the amount of salt in the body and treats salt-induced bloating.
• Castor oil – As constipation can also be one of the causes for bloating, using a laxative like castor oil is beneficial. Add one teaspoon of castor oil to a cup or any fruit juice, mix well and consume immediately before the oil settles down.
• Green tea – Rich in antioxidants and a natural diuretic, green tea help increase urine output and thus eliminates the excess water in the body and relieve bloating caused by water retention. Drink green tea daily with honey to ease gas build-up and other digestive problems.
• Coconut oil –The anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil is beneficial for intestine and treats symptoms of bloating. Have one tablespoon of coconut oil or add it in your daily food preparations like salads or juices.
• Yogurt – A natural probiotic that helps increase the levels of healthy bacteria in the stomach, having yogurt daily will help enhance digestion which in turn reduce abdominal bloating.
Dr. Sandeep Krishna is the fourth generation descendant of the Chingoli family, well known for its century old Ayurvedic heritage. Dr. Krishna is a bachelor’s degree holder (BAMS) in Ayurveda and also did his post-graduation in Panchakarma. Currently serving as Senior Consultant in Krishnendu Ayurveda Hospital And Chingoli Ayurveda Hospital. Dr. Sandeep Krishna is also in charge of administering the ‘International Business and Operations’at Krishnendu Ayurveda Hospital. His enthusiasm and undying commitment towards Ayurveda, enables him to drive the hospital to International fame.
Call for consultation (7pm - 9pm IST): 0091 9544144199
Latest posts by Dr.Sandeep Krishna (see all)