“Dhanurasana ” (The Bow Pose).
Dhanurasana, the basic posture of Hatha yoga is tagged as the Yogic Bow Pose as it resembles a bow when it is performed (“Dhanur” means Bow in sanskrit). Though this famous asana is beneficial for the whole body in numerous ways, the focal point of concentration is the spinal column. In this yoga pose, body and the legs take the shape of the bow, while the hands look like the string.
ESSENCE OF THE ASANA:
1. Gives flexibility to the back.
2. Strengthens back muscles and improves the posture.
3. Relieves back pain.
4. Exceptionally effective in weight loss.
5. Cures constipation and removes excess fat
6. Acts as a cure for dyspepsia, rheumatism and gastro intestinal disorders.
7. Improves digestion and appetite.
8. It is especially beneficial to women as it alleviates the menstrual disorders and improves the reproductive system.
9. Improve the function of liver, pancreas, small intestine and big intestine.
10. Acts as an excellent stress reliever.
11. Strengthens ankles, thighs, groins, chest, and abdominal organs.
This asana also increases energy and counteracts depression. It activates the pancreas and is beneficial for diabetes too.
How to do it?
1. Lie on the ground (on stomach) facing downwards.
2. Relax completely with 2-3 breaths.
3. Inhale slowly and start bending your legs backwards and catch the ankles with the hands as shown.
4. Push your feet away from the head and raise your upper body. Hold the pose for a few seconds, breathing normally. (You will now observe that your body is now in the shape of a bow). In this position your whole weight will come on your abdomen. Only your stomach and pelvic area will touch the ground.
5. Now after 15-20 seconds exhale slowly and come back to the starting position.
6. Repeat this cycle for 4- 5 times daily.
Initially, you will find it easier to lift your knees with legs apart (one leg a time); as you grow on flexibility, aim to perform the Bow with legs together.
NOTE: If you are suffering from high Blood pressure, severe back pain, hernia, migraine or any recent surgery, consult your physician before practicing ‘DHANURASANA’.
UPLIFT ENLIGHTEN AND RISE TO A WHOLE NEW FEELING OF HEALTHY BLISS.
- How to Boost your Immune System with Ayurveda? - April 1, 2020
- 10 Superfoods to keep you cool during the Summer Season - March 25, 2020
- 7 Effective Ayurvedic Practices to Improve your Digestion - March 10, 2020