Yoga is an excellent way to boost bone health! Here are few yoga poses recommended by #KrishnenduAyurveda that will help strengthen the bones and maintain the body posture –
1. Utakatasana (Chair pose)
The chair pose is excellent to strengthen your hips, which is one of the most common areas to suffer bone loss.
1. Stand straight with your feet slightly apart. With your palms facing downwards, stretch your hands to the front without bending your elbows.
2. Slowly bend your knees and push your pelvis down gently as if you are sitting in an imaginary chair.
3. Make sure you keep your hands parallel to the ground. Sit straight and lengthen your spine and relax. Ensure that your knees don’t go beyond your toes and keep going down slowly.
2. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Dog Pose)
This yoga asana works your spine, abdomen, glutes and legs. It provides relief from pain that comes with osteoporosis.
1. Lie flat on your stomach and position your palms at the side of your head, on the floor.
2. While breathing out, push your hands to elevate your buttocks. At this point your toes should be touching the floor and your legs should be straight
3. Hold this position for about 30 seconds
3. Trikonasana (Triangle pose)
The asana will also strengthen your lower back and spine, preventing a compression fracture.
1. Stand straight with your feet apart at a distance of three and half to four feet. Turn your right foot out by 90 degrees and left foot in by 15 degrees.
2. Align the centre of your right heel with the center of your left foot’s arch. Make sure the weight of your body is equally balanced on both the feet and they are pressing the ground.
3. Inhale and exhale deeply as you bend your body to the right downward from the hips. Keep the waist straight allowing the left hand to go up in the air while moving the right to come down to the floor. Both the arms must be in a straight line.
4. Rest your right hand on the floor outside your right foot, or the shin or the ankle, whatever is convenient without affecting the sides of the waist. Stretch your left arm toward the ceiling, parallel to the shoulder tops. Ensure your body is bent sideways and not backward or forward.
5. As you inhale and exhale, come up, bring your arms down to your sides, and straighten your feet. Repeat the same on the other side.
4. Setubandhasana (Bridge pose)
Setubandhasana gives an excellent stretch to your chest, back and neck. It can also relieve pressure on your back and make your spine strong.
1. Lie on your back. Keep your feet hip distance apart on the floor and fold your knees. Knees and ankles must be in a straight line.
2. Palms facing down, keep your arms beside your body. Slowly lift your lower back, middle back and upper back off the floor while inhaling; gently roll in the shoulders; touch the chest and the chin but don’t bring the chin down, support your weight with your shoulders, arms and feet. Both the thighs must be parallel to each other and to the floor.
3. Breathe easily and hold the posture for a minute or two and exhale as you gently release the pose.
5. Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
The light backward stretch in Bhujangasana or cobra pose can help strengthen your wrists and spine.
1. Lie on your stomach with forehead resting on the ground and your toes flat on the floor. Keep your legs together and allow your feet and heels to lightly touch each other.
2. Palm downwards, place your hands under your shoulders, keeping your elbows parallel and close to your torso.
3. Inhaling deeply, slowly lift your head, chest and abdomen while keeping your navel on the floor.
4. Pull your torso back and off the floor with the support of your hands. Curve your spine one vertebra at a time.
* Even if it means bending elbows initially, keep your shoulders relaxed. Ensure that your feet are still close together. Breathing out, gently bring your abdomen, chest and head back to the floor.
- Covid 19 Measures - August 21, 2020
- How to Boost your Immune System with Ayurveda? - April 1, 2020
- 10 Superfoods to keep you cool during the Summer Season - March 25, 2020