Low back pain is one of the most common pain disorders today .Usually it starts as an acute sharp pain or stiffness in the lower back.In most cases this is relieved with absolute rest.Most of the people try pain balms,oils,hot fomentation and analgesics before they plan for a consultation.If not relieved with all these simple measures,bear in mind Back pain is only a symptom and it can have many underlying reasons. Make sure to discuss your individual symptoms with your doctor to determine the correct diagnosis and treatment plan.
Common causes of back pain involve disease or injury to the muscles, bones or nerves of the spine.Poor posture, osteoporosis, scoliosis, Sprain or strain of muscles or ligaments in the area can also lead to low back pain.Over weight, Lack of proper exercise or incorrect exercise can also lead to low back pain. Pain arising from abnormalities of organs within the abdomen, pelvis, or chest may also be felt in the back.This referred pain can be noticed in Aappendicitis
, kidney diseases, bladder infections, pelvic infections, and ovarian disorders are a few. Even normal pregnancy
can cause back pain.
When a nerve is directly irritated (nerve impingement) due to a herniation (or bulging) of the disc,the
pain tends to be sharp, affecting a specific area, and numbness in the area of affected nerve supplies.Some of the major causes of Low back pain are briefed below.
Herniated discs develop as the spinal discs degenerate or grow thinner. The jellylike central portion of the disc bulges out of the central cavity and pushes against a nerve root. Inter vertebral discs begin to degenerate usually in thirties.
Sciatica pain usually travels down to one lower extremity.Usually a shooting pain like electricity, burning sensation or tingling .The pain can range from slightly annoying to totally unbearable.
* Spondylitis is termed as noninfectious inflammation of the spine.This can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning. Ankylosing spondylitis typically begins in adolescents and young adults.
Spondylosis occurs when inter vertebral discs lose their moisture and volume with age.This decreases the disc height. Even minor trauma or sprain during this condition can cause inflammation and nerve root impingement.
- spinal stenosis (spinal-canal narrowing) may be seen in persons who experience pain radiating down both lower extremities while standing for a long time or walking even short distances. Disc degeneration coupled with disease in joints of the low back may be the reason.
- Cauda equina syndrome is considered as a medical emergency .Disc material expands into the spinal canal, which compresses the nerves.Since the spinal cord is directly compressed, apart from pain, possible loss of sensation, and bowel or bladder dysfunction can occur.Inability to control urination (incontinence) or the inability to begin urination can also be noticed.
- Fibromyalgia is seen in a person with generalised muscle ache, tenderness, stiffness and fatigue. The pain may feel like a deep ache, or a shooting, burning pain and may get worse with activity, cold or damp weather, anxiety, and stress.
- Myofascial pain is characterized by pain and tenderness over localized trigger points, Decreased range of motion in the involved muscle groups, and pain radiating in a characteristic distribution but restricted to a peripheral nerve.Pain is relieved with stretching.
- Osteomyelitis ( Infection of the bones of the spine) can also cause low back pain.
- Cancerous tumors can also be a source of skeletal pain.
- Viral infections like herpes zoster seen in Shingles can also cause inflamation of the nerves from the spine.This can occur in the thoracic area to cause upper back pain or in the lumbar area to cause low back pain
Ayurvedic Treatment for Low back pain.
Detailed physical examination is necessary in all the cases. Blood test,X ray and MRI may be helpful in some cases for the precise diagnosis.
Ayurvedic treatment for Low back pain is planned according to the severity, duration and nature of the disease.Most type of back pains responds well with Ayurveda treatment.Promising results are seen in patients with spine related cases and quality of life can be improved with this.Pain management is done by proven Ayurvedic measures.Herbal oils are used for treatments.
Ayurvedic line of back pain management is done in an extensive way for the cure and comfort of the patients.The main procedures are given below.
Therapeutic massage may be indicated in some cases to relax the muscles.
Medicated kizhi,This helps to reduce pain and inflammation.
Sneha Dhara Helps to reduce swelling and muscle spasm.
Njavara Kizhi helps to strengthen the muscles and tendons and prevents further degeneration of discs..
Kadee vasthi helps for the nourishment for disc material
Sneha Vasthi and Kashaya vasthi (medicated enema) may be advised to detox the body.
Dr. Sandeep Krishna is the fourth generation descendant of the Chingoli family, well known for its century old Ayurvedic heritage. Dr. Krishna is a bachelor’s degree holder (BAMS) in Ayurveda and also did his post-graduation in Panchakarma. Currently serving as Senior Consultant in Krishnendu Ayurveda Hospital And Chingoli Ayurveda Hospital. Dr. Sandeep Krishna is also in charge of administering the ‘International Business and Operations’at Krishnendu Ayurveda Hospital. His enthusiasm and undying commitment towards Ayurveda, enables him to drive the hospital to International fame.
Call for consultation (7pm - 9pm IST): 0091 9544144199
Latest posts by Dr.Sandeep Krishna (see all)